One of the most unique experiences the Dead Sea has to offer is fun, free and available everywhere! Floating in the Dead Sea is a must do on your list! Just lay back, relax and enjoy this natural phenomenon.
What does floating in the Dead Sea feel like?
The minute your feet and legs are in the water you feel as if they are being pushed up and as you go deeper you feel your body become lighter and more buoyant. Just lay back and allow your body to float in the Dead Sea.
This is a relaxing experience, relieving you of stress and allowing your whole body to just rest. Actually, resting and floating in the Dead Sea is the only thing you can do. Because of the buoyancy you can’t swim and because of the salt you can’t dive, we recommend you bring a book or newspaper, relax and enjoy!
Why do people float in the Dead Sea?
- The water of the Dead Sea is saltier than any other body of water on earth.
- The concentration of salt reaches 34%.
- The extremely high concentration of dissolved mineral salts in the water causes the water to be denser than that of plain fresh water. Since our body weight is lighter (less dense) than the density of the water, our body is more buoyant in the Dead Sea, making it easy to float.
- Think of it this way, in fresh water our body doesn’t float at all, we actually sink. In the ocean we start feeling buoyancy and we float a bit, in the Dead Sea the water is so dense you float easily even to the point that it’s hard to stand on two feet.
Recommendations for Dead Sea floating
- don’t dive into the water
- don’t soak your head (or face) in the water
- don’t enter the water if you have any open cuts (remember NOT to shave or wax the same day).
Please note: that the written above is only a recommendation. Visitors should always bathe in official Dead Sea beaches and when lifeguards are on duty.
Always use caution when floating in the Dead Sea, the same as you would in any other body of water. Never allow children to enter the water alone, always have adult supervision.
But unforgettable floating experience is only a part of what the Dead Sea has to offer. High salinity goes along with incredible mineral content that is known to improve various skin conditions and is widely used in beauty and cosmetic industries. All these amazing natural properties together with luxurious hotels along the shores make the Dead Sea region a world famous spa resort you must have on your bucket list!
Recommended For You:
Oasis in the Dead Sea